Chana Masala is a delicious vegetarian Indian dish made of chickpeas and flavored with lots of spices including coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika and garam masala.
– 1-2 TB butter
– 3/4 onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1 tsp ginger, finely grated
– 1 medium tomato, chopped
– 1/2 cup water
– 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces – rinse and drain thoroughly)
– 1/2 lemon (for juice)
– 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced with the seeds removed
– 1/2 TB coriander (powder form)
– 1 tsp cumin (also in powder form)
– 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1/2 tsp garam masala
– Salt, to taste
1. Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat.
2. Cook the onions for 7-10 minutes (until a very light brown)
3. Mix in the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Mix in the first four spices (coriander, cumin, cayenne and turmeric). Stir well.
5. Add the tomatoes and let them cook for 5 minutes.
6. Mix in the chickpeas and water. Mix well and increase the heat.
7. Once the pan has come to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer.
8. Mix in the lemon juice, paprika, garama masala and salt (to taste).
9. Put a lid on the pan and continue to let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
10. Add the ginger and jalapeno pepper about a minute before the end.